Get your calendars out and get ready for summer in Vermont!
After a long, long, winter, Vermont does not disappoint when it comes to embracing the warm summer months! I am always pleasantly surprised at the amount of fun, music, festivals, shows, and activities that the Burlington, VT area manages to host in the summertime. There is not a week that goes by when you won’t be able to find some fun outdoor event to attend. Some are great with kids, others are perfect for a date night. I can’t possibly list them all, but thought I would share some of my favorites with you. So, find your sandals, put on some sunscreen, and get ready to enjoy summer events in Vermont!
1) Burlington Discover Jazz Festival – June 5-14, 2015 – I can’t say enough about this one! Music fills the air in Burlington, VT and really gets the summer started off right. The festival lasts for over a week, and there are activities for all ages during the day and into the night. Make sure you clear some time this June to enjoy this unique and fun festival in Burlington.
2) Stoweflake Hot Air Balloon Festival – July 10-12, 2015 – A very popular summer celebration in the beautiful town of Stowe, VT. There are children’s activities, a food, beer, and wine tent, and of course, hot air balloons. Go early to watch a sunrise launch, or in the late evening at a sunset launch, and enjoy beautiful balloons floating over the Green Mountains. Kids 12 and under are free.
3) Vermont Brewers Festival – July 17-18 2015 – Held at Burlington’s Waterfront Park, this annual gathering showcases Vermont artisan craft beer and their brewers. A very popular event that sells out every year, it’s a fun way to spend an afternoon and get a taste of what’s brewing!
4) Lake Champlain Maritime Festival – August 6-9, 2015 – This festival is in its 8th year and has been named a Top 100 North American Event by the American Business Association and a Top Ten Vermont Summer Event by the Vermont Chamber of Commerce! It is held at Burlington’s Waterfront Park and features crafts, activities, music, food, and boats. A great choice for families with children, as admission to the majority of the festival is free!
5) Ben & Jerry’s Concerts on the Green – These festive concerts are held throughout the summer from June until August at Shelburne Museum in Shelburne, VT. Enjoy live music outside at one of the most beautiful spots in Northern Vermont! Shelburne Museum boasts amazing views of Lake Champlain, The Adirondacks, and the Green Mountains. Bring a blanket, a picnic, your family and friends, and enjoy fantastic music outdoors on a summer evening!
6) Vermont Cheesemakers Festival Vermont has the highest number of artisan cheesemakers per capita in the United States – lucky us! This festival brings them all together so that you can taste delicious cheeses, as well as other local foods and wine. Held at Shelburne Farms and named by Fodor’s as one of the Top 10 Best U.S. Summer Food Festivals. You won’t want to miss it!
Ongoing Family Activities
There are also many fun events that are ongoing throughout the summer, make sure to put aside some time and check them out!
1) Vermont Lake Monsters – Enjoy great baseball close to home! The Vermont Lake Monsters play their minor league baseball home games at Centennial Field, on the University of Vermont campus. It is a charming, friendly stadium, and one of the oldest still in use in professional baseball. They play throughout the summer, making it easy to find a night to take in some old- fashioned fun. If you have children, check out CHAMP’S Kids Club, which gets children 12 and under admission to games for free!
2) Shelburne Farms and Shelburne Museum – These two gems are located in Shelburne, Vermont, and should not be missed. Shelburne Farms offers everyone a chance to tour their incredible grounds, visit the animals, learn about their sustainable agriculture, and enjoy spectacular views of Lake Champlain. Shelburne Museum is a unique experience for both kids and adults. In addition to the new Pizzagalli Center for Art and Education (link: http://shelburnemuseum.org/explore/buildings/pizzagalli-center-for-art-and-education/), there are many other galleries and special exhibitions to see. The beautiful grounds also include a collection of 18th and 19th century historic structures from New England and New York that are open mid-May through October. You’ll see authentic period houses, barns, a meeting house, a one-room schoolhouse, a lighthouse, a jail, a general store, a covered bridge, and the incredible 220-foot steamboat Ticonderoga. Bonus: Vermonters receive 50% off admission every day!
3) Catamount Family Center – Located in Williston, VT, the Catamount Outdoor Family Center offers many different activities on their 500 acre outdoor recreation area, which features more than 20 miles of trails with varied terrain and scenery. In the summer months, they host several camps and family activities, including trail running races every Tuesday evening and Mountain bike races every Wednesday evening. A great place to meet up with friends and get in some fun and competitive exercise!
That’s my list! What about you? What are your favorite summer events in Vermont? Please share in the comments, I love to hear from you!
Thanks for stopping by,